Sunday 9 March 2014

I'm a Militant Atheist



1.       I require you to provide evidence that your god is real before I will do anything but heap scorn and ridicule upon you. You call this blasphemy because you wish to control the thoughts of others so that they don’t make you feel uncomfortable in your ignorance.
2.       I deny that religion has done anything worthy of admiration, since it is not difficult to do things that stupid people will admire when you have all the resources and all the power.
3.       I deny that you or your brothers and sisters “in the faith” are “otherwise intelligent”, the same way that I deny that a chimp that manages to put pegs in the correct holes is intelligent, or that a dolphin who finds a quarter at the bottom of a pool is intelligent. I refuse to lower the bar that far down. You call this arrogant b/c you refuse to accept that I give you more credit than you do, since you’re busy giving all the credit to your imaginary friend.
4.       I assert that a believer is no smarter than a five year old child who believes in the tooth fairy or Santa Claus, and should be treated as such. You call this condescending b/c you believe you’re an adult, but let’s not forget, you also believe in an imaginary friend in the sky, and the only other people with imaginary friends are all pre-pubescent or mentally ill. If a six year old can figure out Santa isn’t real, you should be able to figure out god isn’t real. It’s not that fucking hard.
5.       I will call out the immorality of the church at every opportunity. I do this because you claim to hold the moral high ground-based on a book whose central character demands genocide, fratricide, infanticide, rape, child rape, and stoning to carry out the death penalty. You call this immoral because I have the audacity to call these things out as immoral even if your god does them and endorses them, yet you claim that I have no morals whatsoever, even though you agree with me that these things are immoral.
6.       If you insist, I will point out the logical fallacies you offer in support of your imaginary friend, and I will not spare your feelings. You call this militant because you forget that never in the name of atheism has an atheist ever shot an abortion doctor in the head, and no atheist has ever strapped on a bomb with the intention of detonating it in a crowded night club full of innocent people, religious or otherwise, and that there is no doctrine for atheists to "defend" by terrorizing anyone.
So yes, I’m “militant”…. in the same way that bald is a hair color and not collecting stamps is a hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment